Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Legend of Queen Opala: Origin - Week 33 / 2021

Support production of the LoQO games at - Patreon

Purchase LoQO figurines - WebShop
And/Or follow me on - Twitter

It's that faithful day of the week again!

After trying a few different versions, I decided the best layout for the Quick-Menu was to make it simple and straightforward to fit the namesake and functionality. (Preview down below!)
I think this is also the best possible solution to show expedition progress as it's just one button press away, with the extra pop-up only displayed in the Quick-Menu while an expedition is active.
The only downside I could find is that the button press is considered a priority command by the game, so if you were to press it during a dialogue, interraction, etc, it would be queued up to instantly trigger once the previous event finished.

Under normal circumstances, this shouldn't be a problem, but it could have some negative effects if you tried triggering the Quick-Menu during cutscenes since they are more complex, so the solution to that would simply be to manually disable priority commands during cutscenes.
While easy to do, it'll be a bit time consuming since I have to edit every cutscene in the game.

Even if I had scrapped the Quick-Menu idea, I'd still have to edit the cutscenes, because toggling sprinting ON/OFF is another priority command which has to be corrected as well.
Doing that will also give me a good excuse to include the sprinting option to all indoor locations.
I intend to assign the Quick-Menu to the A button, and have sprinting moved to Z/Shift instead.
I'm not a PC gamer, but I think Shift for sprinting is better and somewhat common?

Anyhoo, that's a lot of talking for barely any substance!


2 comments:

  1. Can confirm: Shift is common for sprinting in games.

    Do you have any rough ETA beyond "late this month" for the next beta?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using shift as a sprint key, it's like shifting gears for video games!
    Almost makes sense when you think about it like that now, doesn't it. :P

    ReplyDelete